If you read this blog, you know of my love for wreaths for every single holiday. Ever since I saw it, I have wanted to try out Martha Stewart’s Snake Wreath Project. It’s so dark and ghoulish, I just love it! Here is mine:
A couple of key notes: First, this project was a bit more difficult than the tutorial makes it out to be.
Getting all of the spare leaves and teeny tiny twigs out the wreath requires some patience. And you cannot start until you do. I had to use tweezers to get them all out.
Martha’s wreath left some of the spare twigs sticking out. So some of it is a choice you make.
Second, do not stray from the recommended materials! Spray painting a bunch of rubber snakes is a bit of a process. And I used some old black spray paint that we had around the house. I do not know what it was made out of, but apparently it was not acrylic paint, because it did not adhere correctly. I ended up with five sticky messes that would not dry. And I ended up tossing them, buying new ones and starting over.
But….The real challenge is wrapping the snakes around the twigs of the wreath is a pleasing way. is a bit of a battle. The rubber snakes do not twist just any which way, and the ones I bought have a ribbed under side that looks distinctly toy-like. So avoiding exposing it in the process of wrapping the snakes provides quite a challenge.
I used large rubber snakes from Dollar Tree, but I also used some tiny snakes that came in a separate pack of plastic figures from Dollar Tree.
One final note, when finished, the wreath is HEAVY! Like super heavy. You need a very strong hanger to accommodate its weight!
So there you go. My version of the wreath project. I think it turned out pretty great!