Here is the recipe for my”Have A Ball!” Summer Salad, my entry in the Ball Bowl competition my friends held last night.
As you may know, the concept for this salad was born from having foods all in a round (ball) shape. I honestly think if I were ever to do it again, I might cup all of the ingredients in half, simple because it is easier to spear them with a fork. This form created a few flying tomato incidents! But nevertheless, it was an easy, zesty summer salad with a Mediterranean flair featuring Israeli couscous and chopped summer vegetables.
- 1 cup of Israeli couscous (cook, drain, and chill)
- 3 English cucumbers – peel and use a melon baller to create “cucumber balls”
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup yellow summer tomatoes
- 1 cup kalamata olives (pitted, whole, not sliced)
- 1 cup black olives (pitted, whole, not sliced)
- 1 tub of Bocconcini mozerella balls (drained)
- 3 handfuls of basil leaves – minced
- 1 handful of parsley – minced
- 3 tbs olive oil plus 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp finely minced garlic
- black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, toss, and enjoy!